Global Warming Pros and Cons List
The sky is falling, the sky is falling! At least that’s what Chicken Little thought when the acorn hit him in the head. In fact, he didn’t just scream it; he actually believed the sky was coming down.
The fairy tale of Chicken Little is somewhat similar to a debate that is going on today. The issue being debated is climate change, better known as global warming. The scientists and environmentalist who think man-made greenhouse gas emissions are causing the earth’s temperature to rise are locked in a furious struggle with those who don’t believe it.
The stakes could not be any higher, if the global warming crowd is right, the world as we know it will be ending soon, unless something is done to dramatically reduce greenhouse gas emissions. So, is the sky falling or not? Here are the main arguments for both sides of the debate.
The Pros of Global Warming
Greenhouse Gases Have Nothing to do With The Temperature
Those who don’t believe that globing warming is an issue point to several items to refute that stats and figures above, including:
- A temperature increase of 1 to 1.4 °F is perfectly normal and is caused by variations in the amount of heat the sun gives off.
- The amount of CO2 released by man-made activities is comparable to a single drop of water in a 100,000 gallon tank. There are simply not enough man-made emissions to affect the climate.
- CO2 increases in the atmosphere are a result of rising temperatures and not the reason for it. Natural storage bins of the gas (plants, oceans, etc.) release CO2 when heated.
- The global warmers are trying to scare people to keep the research grants coming. About 100 billion dollars has been appropriated by the United States alone to study climate change.
The Cons of Global Warming
Man is going to melt the Polar Ice Caps and we’re All Going to Die
- Burning fossil fuels produces carbon dioxide (CO2), a greenhouse gas that absorbs heat from the sun, causing the temperature of the atmosphere to increase. It is clear that humans are releasing more of this gas than ever before. In 2010 the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere was measured, and found to be at the highest in the last 650,000 years.
- The deforestation of the earth is removing a natural CO2 removal system, making the problem worse.
- Global temperatures rose about 1 to 1.4 °F during the last century.
- The oceans have risen about 8 inches since 1961. Believers say this rise is due to expansion caused by warmer temperatures and melting ice.
One hundred billion dollars is a lot of money, and it is not beyond the realm of possibility for researchers to fabricate a story like global warming and use some of that money for other purposes, but what could a bunch of geologists do with 100 billion dollars…..build a time machine?