Advantages and Disadvantages of Ethanol
Ethanol is being used as a substitute to gasoline among many vehicles. This is also known as the natural product that is outsourced from crops like sugar cane, grain and corn. Apart from it, this is sustainable in the environment where producers are pushed away from the fossil fuels.
As per the sustained growth of crops, like ethanol crops, it may be proven advantageous among farmers for the next years to come. The natural products of the crops are turned into bio-fuel that aims for sustained living and benefits most of the masses.
Advantages of Ethanol
- Green Fuel Production – The production of ethanol only creates few greenhouse emissions as compared to other fuels. And since ethanol is produced from corn, the greenhouse emissions are reduced by thirteen percent. This is according to the studies conducted by many researchers. As for this reduction, it is increased through the use of improved technology and sources such as switch grass.
- A Balance in Positive Energy – Although a lot of critics believed that there must be more energy needed in producing ethanol, the study has revealed that the fuel outsourced from corn generates a balance in positive energy. By means of ethanol production, there are more valuable products and by-products to get such as corn oil.
- Less Pollutants Being Produced – One of the major advantages of ethanol is that in burning the fuel, there are only less pollutants being produced.
- Reduced Need on Depending on Oil – Another big advantage of ethanol is the reduced need to depend mostly on oil. Oil is mainly sourced out for running operated machinery and or for travel. This may be a better option other than spending too much on oil.
Disadvantage of Ethanol
- Increased Price of Most Corn – In the United States, ethanol is being manufactured from corn. This mainly results for an increased price on most corn. This makes ethanol fuel a bit or far expensive.
- Large Arable Land is Required – In producing for the crops needed for ethanol, a large arable land is being required. There must be more crops to be provided that often lead to problems like fertilizer, salinity, deforestation and soil erosion.
- Environmental Problems that may Arise – Due to the production of ethanol, it is expected that there will be more environmental problems that may arise. This is because of the waste that comes from fermentation liquors. And since there are many environmental problems that may arise, the health of people is mainly affected.
- Advanced Modification on Current Engines – The present-day or typical engines mainly require advanced modification. This must be done to be able for them to fit on highly-concentrated ethanol. For sure, it may mean of more expenses and modification costs that create a hole in their pocket.
- Being Highly Corrosive –Being highly corrosive is another advantage of ethanol. In effect, the engines that are created to operate on it fail sooner, than what is expected.
Despite the drawbacks or ethanol, there are still many advantages that are a start-up in making it a sustainable and renewable energy resource!