http://occupytheory.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Statistics-on-Occupy-Donations.jpg

Statistics on Occupy Donations

Money Behind Occupy Wall Street Movement

Money and Occupy Wall Street: Where it Came From

Occupy Wall Street is the people-powered movement that started in 2011. It is a movement that has continually grown ever since it became as a movement. The movement was made as a protest to the growing and unceasing economic and income inequality, corruption and greed revolving around the United States. Even when the movement was just starting, funds were already needed. Now, as the movement continuously grows, more funds are also needed.

Financing and Protester Demographic

The same with other movements, the money being used by Occupy Wall Street came from donations given by those individuals who believe the same thing as what the movement does. To start with, as for the movements’ distribution by gender data, more than half came from men, which totaled to 64% with the remaining 36% comprised by women.

Top Donation Regions

The top regions that are giving the most of donations in US are Connecticut with a total of $65.15, followed by Hawaii with an accumulated donation amounting to $60.78. New Jersey came next showing a total of $59.97, Washington DC with $50.84 and New York with a total of $49.28. Lastly, North Dakota has donated $16.25.

Along with these facts, Occupy Wall Street has accumulated more than 25 payments to take care of from New York to Hawaii. In every campaign, a donation will come from an average distance of 861.5 miles. Basing it on the total information, a total of 85% of the accumulated donations have traveled below 100 miles, with New York City’s not included.

Distribution of Donations Received

That is the usual process that the donations being received by the movement. When the total of the entire donations received are computed, these are distributed in 4 aspects. These aspects are the usual things that the movement is spending for. As for the General Fund, 83% of the total donations are allocated for it. 10% of the entire donation goes for food, 4% goes for the payment of legal fees to be incurred and, the remaining 3% goes with the overall operation of the movement.

Wealth Demographic of Protesters

The members comprising the movement mostly came from the group or household earning 50 thousand to 75 thousand dollars annually. Those households that are earning more than 200 thousand dollars are only 2.11% of the entire members of the movement. Then, those households that are earning below 15 thousand dollars a year totaled to 2.48%. Although that is only a small percentage of the entire percentage comprising the movement, it still bigger than the 1.39% of the households earning 250 thousand dollars annually, this already tells a lot.

Education Level of Protestors

Among these members, Occupy Wall Street people are comprised with individuals who have achieved different levels of education. Most of these only reached high school, which totaled to 42%. One would think that with some being able to reach and achieve a graduate school diploma, they are already contented of where their diploma has brought them. But, that does not seem to be the case since the movement is comprised with 22% of these people.

With that population of people who joined the movement, there is no doubt that a lot of people are also hoping for some changes. Income and economic inequality are two major problems that the movement aims to settle through the combination of the members it has powered with the continuous funding of its operation and the donations it receives.